Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Running Together Again

I've been to three doctors, and five different physical therapists since December.  I admit, I probably would visit ten times that number if I had to.

I think the injury to my foot has finally healed.  I'm cautious about believing this, but I think this is the case.  I still felt that my foot was tight two weeks ago, and I began having aches all over the rest of my forefoot but not exactly the swelling in one spot I did before.  My ability to run reasonably, forefoot flexibility and pain have improved dramatically over the last two weeks.  In the process, I think I've learned a lot from my previous mistakes and how to return from injury and prevent re-injury.  I'm finally starting to feel confident running again.  I credit this to three different plans of attack:

Fixing flexibility issues on my right leg:  Calf, Ankle, Hip

The reward for really getting to the root of some of my specific issues goes to a physical therapist at St. Vincent Sports Medicine (ask me for a name if you need one, he was clearly superior to any other I have ever visited in his attention to detail and knowledge).  My right foot dorsiflexion (bringing toes toward shin) suffers from flexibility issues at the calf, ankle, and achilles tendon.  The actual measured angle difference between right and left foot upper limit of dorsiflexion was 11 degrees!  I can't quote numbers on my hip but suffice to say the flexibility difference between left to right was glaring.  I've continued to use a number of stretches recommended on a daily basis.

Fixing left/right strength discrepancies and balance

I have a weaker right piriformis and gluteus minimus, weaker left quad, and weaker right calf. My weekly strength training now includes all of the following exercises:
  • 1 Legged Squats
  • 1 Legged Calf Raises
  • 1 Legged Dead Lift
  • Individual Leg Extension
  • Individual Sideways Hip Extension
  • Individual Foot Raises (dorsiflexion with resistance from pulley)
  • Lunges
  • Front, back, and side planks (core)
  • Back Extension on Exercise Ball
  • Crunches on Exercise Ball
  • Crunches with holds and legs extended and separated in Roman Chair
  • Inner and outer thigh weight machine
  • Balancing on an upside down bosu ball with one leg
  • Quick climbs on the Stairmaster at 120-135 stairs per minute
The strength gains I've made in such a short time have been greater than I expected.

Fixing my foot, eliminating the symptoms

With great results, I have continued to just hot water bathe and continuously massage the bottom of my foot with a golf ball.  This definitely has been working, and is even more effective when I start my day with the hot water bath and massage.  By the time I start moving around the foot tightness and pain is gone.

I also finally visited a podiatrist (Bloomington Foot and Ankle Center) and was pleased to get some  answers and a plan to eliminate the roughness and pain in my forefoot.  It did take a while to get in for an appointment (three weeks) but was well worth the wait.  The original foot pain I had was caused by a now healed but previously strained / damaged plantar plate according to his diagnosis.  I started up with an immediate twice a week graston and ultrasonic treatment on the bottom of my forefoot and plantar fascia.  This also seems to be working, as my tendons and plantar plate are starting to feel "smooth" again.

Supplementing

Just to make sure the healing process isn't delayed by an deficiencies I've been taking Cod Liver Oil and a "real food" based multivitamin.  I'm not sure if this has contributed to the healing, but I have been sleeping well and seem to be bouncing back quickly from long bike rides which I think is a good sign.

Back to Running Together

In the meantime, I've been running every other day with Katie.  In the last two weeks, we got to run trails at the Deam Wilderness, Lake Griffey, Morgan Monroe Low Gap Trail, and around town a bit.  Katie's faster than me right now and it just feels great to tag along and be out on the trails and roads again.

The last three weeks have totalled 11, 12, and 13 miles respectively.  This is absolutely the slowest and most controlled "return" to running I have ever done.  I guess I am accidentally observing the often quoted "10 percent" weekly mileage increase rule for the first time in my life!

Cycling for Cross Training and the Nashville 90

I think my leg strength has been helped on the trails from all the cycling.  I've been cross training on my bike almost every day in order to sort of "use up" my energy to keep the temptation at bay to run too much right now.  I've kept up my weekly long rides and managed to ride the "Nashville 90" route on Monday.  I forgot how beautiful, fast, and fun this route is.  I haven't ridden the whole thing since Ironman training in 2009 and I had forgotten completely about SR 58.  This road has light traffic, fast rolling hills, and plenty of great views of the forested hills to the north and south.







No comments:

Post a Comment