Saturday, March 3, 2012

To Pool Run, or not to Pool Run

After three weeks in the "boot" and a week prior to that of absolutely zero cardiovascular exercise I started to get a little bit restless.  My recollection is that after about two weeks of inactivity and the initial grouchiness I actually started to settle in more happily to my new "inactive lifestyle".


That being said, I'm used to taking inventory of my goals, and creating in my own mind at least detailed plans of the habits I'll need to cultivate to reach them.  Right now that goal in terms of running isn't a specific race, but it is to achieve a healed right foot and arrive to a disciplined and slow return to training with a base of aerobic fitness.


Exact belt I've been using, free for use at the SRSC


So three weeks ago, I began "pool running".  To the uninitiated, this means fastening a foam flotation belt to my waist and running up and down a lane in the pool or some other body of water.  It's basically running in place while suspended in deep water and moving forward at an inch by inch pace.


I have heard some call it aqua jogging.  There's even an aqua jogging world championship held in Finland each year since 2004.  Regardless, much like most runners don't like being called "joggers" I think I prefer the pool running terminology.


I thought it would be extremely boring, but I was surprised to discover just how hard I could push myself running on top of "nothing".  After almost three weeks and 1240 minutes of sometimes twice a day workouts in the pool at the CBAC or SRSC I've grown to love it.  I imagine trails, hill climbs, or open grassy plains and vary my gait and cadence accordingly.  The mental trick works, and I've found my heart rate to vary accordingly from 125 at a pedestrian "easy" pace to as high as 185 during simulated interval training.  It's not hard to find reports online from elite athletes who have faced injury (including Deena Kastor and others) and returned from injury with the fitness to set a PR because of pool running.


I've decided I like running in the very deep "diving" well best, mostly because of the relative isolation from swimmers and warmer water temperature.  The warmer temperature actually makes the effort level a little harder, and I end up sweating a decent amount from my above water head.  I might be wrong but I think this gives me the bonus benefits associated with acclimating and training in warmer temperatures.


I've run two almost 2 hour long runs each of the past two weekends, one with my also injured friend Alex.  The social aspect of pool running is pretty much the same as going for a long run so that was nice.  Otherwise, I've been the weird guy wearing a hat in the pool with an ipod shuffle clipped to the brim and ear buds dangling from under the cap into my ears.  It works, and I've gotten some focus by isolating myself with music or distracting myself with a podcast.


Excellent interviews with top ultra runners,
and perfect for long runs in the pool.


I've been doing all of this with no pain in my foot.  Well, that is until this week.  I thought that impact and the force of pushing off my bending forefoot were the primary causes of irritation in my metatarsal head injury.  Unfortunately, I discovered during a physical therapy session this week gone awry that my foot still hurts if my toe is stretched to it's upper limit.  Excruciatingly so, actually.  After that the metatarsal head or joint hurt again all week and hurt more while pool running.


So now I'm back to doing nothing.  I didn't think it was possible to be sidelined from pool running, and I'm not sure if I should be doing it right now anyway.  I had noticed my forefoot feeling "tight" after last few pool runs so maybe that was a sign of detriment to the healing process for this particular injury.  I'm checking out another doctor at St. Vincent Sports Performance in Indianapolis this week so I'll see what kind of feedback I get on doing any further pool running.  I've heard nothing but rave reviews from other runners about St. Vincent so I'm also eager to get a new doctor's take on my injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment