Monday, September 12, 2011

Summer Recap

We had a wonderfully busy summer, and now that school has started (Katie teaching and me working at IU) things have settled into a bit of a routine.


My running in late May, June and July can be easily summarized by mostly low mileage squeezed in between:
  • Recovery from DWD50
  • Our wedding
  • A lazy week in Mexico
  • A mostly losing two week battle with "traveler's sickness" starting the day we got back from Mexico
  • Lots of weekend trips including New Jersey, Ohio, and Tennessee
  • Red Eye Relay (I ran 25 miles worth of the hilliest roads north of Bloomington in the middle of the night with a bunch of other sweaty runner dudes)
  • My first attempt at a "running beard" went pretty well so I hope to bring it back again sometime.
  • A 9 day running "break" to sort of reenergize before putting in some big miles for fall races

Katie on the beach in Playa del Carmen


Red Eye Ultra Team




Running Beard


Katie and I have started running some trails together as well.  We've both enjoyed this but I think having run with me more on the road, Katie especially likes being able to lead and "block" me on a single track to force me to run her pace.  We've run together so far on trails at:
  • Brown County State Park
  • Lake Griffy
  • Deam Wilderness
  • "Secret Trail" at the dead end of Sheffield Dr. connecting to Kerr Rd.


My fall race plans are a little up in the air at this point but definite races right now are:


Depending on how things go with my mileage build I might consider:


Finally, I got through a few running books this summer.  Here are a few I read that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend:


The Hocking Hills 60k is this weekend so I'll hope for a good race report to add!

No comments:

Post a Comment